View Single Post
Old 09-21-21, 12:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Lets clarify. Are you really saying that if you get a flat tire 25mi from home, you would rather call someone and make them get you, instead of just carrying a tube plus levers and inflation?
Originally Posted by bowwow
yes!
Originally Posted by bowwow
Why is a slashed tire any different? If you are going to be prepared, should you not have a spare tire with you? Or, are you going to call someone to rescue you??? Just saying...

1) Size of tire vs. size of tube. I can carry about 3 tubes, maybe 4 in the space it would take me to carry a tire.

2) Also, likelihood of the mishap. I ride several thousand miles per year, even with "puncture proof" tires, I'll blow a tube or three every year. It's been decades (if ever) since I had a tire blow out so bad I couldn't make it work for a few miles.

I also ride in a lot of places where cell phone coverage is non-existent, so I'd be an idiot not to be prepared for a tube failure, which is something I've had occur a few times.

BTW, sounds like most of your aversion to changing tires roadside could be alleviated by packing a pair of shop gloves. Just sayin....

I'm really skeptical that your friends will appreciate the 50 mile round trip, but whatever.