View Single Post
Old 07-13-22, 10:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Didn't get a chance to read most replies, but what I did seemed correct. I will add, sorry if this is already explained this way, that items that are normally 'leased' are items that commonly have a known depreciation and tangible value as used items,...
Yes (I said this multiple times).

A big part of the car lease business is the used car business. There really is not appreciable used bike business.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Bicycles are different from cars in this way - if you lease a Pinarello Dogma and the frame snaps in a crash and one of the Campy S Record shifters gets broken, the total value of what remains, or of what would become of the bike after repairs are made, would not be the same ballpark as a car that was crashed and repaired. Furthermore, repairs, along with safety and road worthiness requirements on cars are generally standardized, while bike repairs are often done by a 'shade-tree' or other unregulated/non-standardized service provider - not that that's necessarily bad, but it's not secure enough for financial institutions to think it's a good investment.
No, it's not any of this. A "snapped frame" is a "totaled" car. A "broken Campy S Record shifters" gets replaced and no value is lost. Used cars have a common reputation for being high risk.