Old 08-15-20, 06:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Thanks for the posting. The route looks interesting. I'd like to check it out some day. I have only a sporadic experience with the state in the form of a few trips spread over the decades, none of it touring. I visited the Bar harbor area in a popup camper in the early 70s, wilderness canoe camped the St Johns river in the late 70s, did some whitewater kayaking on the Moose river in the 80s, and scrambled up Mt Katahdin 7 or 8 years ago. Maine is a beautiful state.

Did you get to Katahdin? I found it to be quite an effort. We went on a day when the weather turned out to be a little questionable with fog and blowing drizzle. I'd say 95% of the folks turned back where the route became exposed due to the weather. The weather made it feel like more of a serious effort when we got to the summit and it was fogged in and the wind was howling, but It was okay. We did get some breaks in the fog to get some limited views on the way down. The day would have been easier if I wasn't beat up from other summits on the way up the east coast where I tried to keep up with much younger fitter companions. One guy in particular I won't backpack or hike with again. Long story that I won't go too far in to, but it can really suck when someone takes over a pre-planned trip and changes it on the fly to take a longer more ambitious route and then later comments "Gee if I knew you were suffering that much I'd have left you in base camp". Fortunately he was only with us on Mt Marcy in NY. I wouldn't have done Katahdin if he was still with us.
Likes For staehpj1: