View Single Post
Old 03-19-21, 02:45 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
True, but even still those gains start to drop significantly as the number of riders in said break increases. I prefer all aspects of the breakaway life in my racing and generally play those roles in the SCNCA elite races. Starting, bridging, helping to pull back, and of course helping to drive it if I'm in it. Depending on the caliber of the field in the P/1/2 there might not be a whole lot of that from my behalf, but there is sometimes in less "big ticket" races.

It def. all adds up. I race on a venge with 50 mm carbon clinchers, fast tires w latex, aero bars, evade and speedsuit. Training is a TCR, box rimes, lightweight vented helmet.

At the speeds in a P/1/2 my solo moves aren't going to last long so I need to make it count. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't disagree with you , but the number of riders in a break does play a big part in the consequence of aero gains.
I tend to agree with the breakaway being THE exciting part of bike racing, both on a personal level (cat 3 scrub 5 years removed, so more like cat 8ish) and in pro races. So do you think that if you didn't a badass aero bike you'd be less likely to attack? That would be a strange unintended consequence of making people ride un-aero bikes.