Old 07-21-21, 05:34 PM
robertc3

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Learning how to go fast takes practice. With apps like Strava, tracking progress is pretty easy. I would recommend planning out a local route to use as kind of a test track. Once a week (or more, if so motivated), have him ride that route with the intent to do it faster than he did before. Obviously, having the endurance for the duration of the race is also important. 2-3 hour rides at a easy-moderate effort level would be good to work into the routine, as well. If you're already in contact with the local coach, maybe he/she can offer some more guidance, especially things that are specific to your area. The coach might also be able to help connect your son with riders of a similar age to ride/train with.
Thank you Eric. We will pick out a route or two at our local park and get the timing dialed. Strava will be great for that. I use it, but he hasn't before. He is really competitive, so the segments should be motivating to him. I will also get in touch with the coach and see what he can give me in terms of guidance. He gave me a run down on where they practice, so we can hit those spots.
Are you the Eric F from DFP? I spent more time lurking than posting on DFP and enjoyed your posts. I just finished up taking my daughter's team from 10u to 18u and will take a few years off before I think about starting that journey again. Mountain biking with my son will fill that time well.
Likes For robertc3: