View Single Post
Old 07-31-21, 06:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi, @zybez. Welcome to the sport and to the forum.

Long story short, while power makes for great bragging rights, it's a red herring. While power is most certainly an indicator of ability, it's not the ultimate one. Otherwise, there would be medals for Max Power Output. Coincidentally, there are medals for max weight lifted. This is a nice segue into my next point about tracking progress that will translate into more speed (not power) on the track, which I assume that you want to do.

Weightlifting and/or Powerlifting are excellent ways for a power athlete to track training progress. For such an athlete, gym gains can directly result in performance gains...and they are easier to monitor. But, also don't get tricked by the 1-rep max squat red herring either! You into cars or motorcycles? There is (understandably) a lot of talk about horsepower...but that's only 1 factor in winning races. (Notice a theme here?).

There are A LOT of factors that come into play that will determine if you win or lose a race, series of races, or have a great career racing.

That being said, everyone likes to see their numbers go up. When I started racing, I logged everything. Every lap on the bike to every rep in the gym. Seeing those watts, speeds, cadences, reps, and weights all go up (along with wins) was very encouraging. Don't lose sight of it. But, I also lost a helluva lot of races that I thought I should win because of my max wattage.

If you are looking for a golden metric to track, here's an easy one that you can track with a $25 bike computer: Maximum Speed.

Max speed on the velodrome will tell you more about how you are doing in your sprint training that max wattage. And it'll be a much better predictor of wins.

How would I know? I could regularly clock over 2,100W...but I was heavy and built like a rolling refrigerator.
Likes For carleton: