Old 05-16-22, 03:53 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 1,461 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Very nice! I probably won't, but I have considered having someone braze a derailleur tab onto my Carlton, which never had one.
Someone suggested to me that given the age of my PX-10 it wouldn't be entirely out-of-line to just use a claw mount, and it's true that would have worked just as well. But I know that it originally had an integrated hanger, and I just can't leave well enough alone sometimes.

I'm having a similar fight with myself over the purity of the steerer. Some threads are broken off at the top of the steerer. There are barely enough threads to engage the locknut and definitely not enough to leave room for a front cable hanger.

I had been exploring options to have a new piece of steerer grafted on to solve this problem, but then Gugie asked me about the possibility of headsets with a shorter stack. The headset that's on there now (Stronglight Competition) has a 38mm stack height, so finding something short enough to accommodate a cable hanger seems unlikely. But as I was mulling this over in my mind, the significance of the phrase "the headset that's on there now" dawned on me. There's a headset on there now. If I leave it, what's the risk? I might break off some threads and have to replace the steerer. So basically, I was considering replacing the steerer to avoid the risk of something going wrong that would force me to replace the steerer. With that perspective, I'm now exploring alternate solutions like the Paul Funky Monkey that will let me clamp a cable hanger to the stem. That's perfectly functional. My struggle with it is that I really wanted to use an original MAFAC cable hanger. Right now, I'm leaning towards being reasonable in this case.