View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 06:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Pain in spinal degeneration comes from impingement on nerve roots. Spinal cord compression, whole more serious, is painless, although it can produce a range of funny sensations as well as weakness.

I am riding a 5” drop to the top of the bars the below, but as you can see, I have prosthetic discs above and below a fusion to fix 3-level disease, which is not common in the US at this point. Nevertheless, I would recommend anyone headed for ACDF to ask their surgeon about prostheses.

I have a prosthetic disc at L5-S1, surgery in 2004. When I had it done, it was still in the clinical trial phase, hence, I was in the study. I returned once a year, for 7 years, for an exam and consultation. Many people did not do well with this procedure, but fortunately, I have, and still am, doing well with the artificial disc. I believe it is no longer being done at that spine level. When I had my cervical fusion, 2007,I was actually going to have the same type of disc at c5-c6, however, bone density scan eliminated that option due to osteopenia, hence the fusion. I was part of clinical study for that, also. It came with the same 7 year exam/consultation appointments. The last year, or so, my range of motion in that area has declined, while pain issues have increased. Everything comes with a cost. Though a definite plus for patients like myself, these kinds of procedures always affect other areas. My entire spinal column has definitely degenerated over the years. Keeping active in a smart fashion is critical for the long term.