MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have a prosthetic disc at L5-S1, surgery in 2004. When I had it done, it was still in the clinical trial phase, hence, I was in the study. I returned once a year, for 7 years, for an exam and consultation. Many people did not do well with this procedure, but fortunately, I have, and still am, doing well with the artificial disc. I believe it is no longer being done at that spine level. When I had my cervical fusion, 2007,I was actually going to have the same type of disc at c5-c6, however, bone density scan eliminated that option due to osteopenia, hence the fusion. I was part of clinical study for that, also. It came with the same 7 year exam/consultation appointments. The last year, or so, my range of motion in that area has declined, while pain issues have increased. Everything comes with a cost. Though a definite plus for patients like myself, these kinds of procedures always affect other areas. My entire spinal column has definitely degenerated over the years. Keeping active in a smart fashion is critical for the long term.
Lumbo-sacral fusions are a whole different thing. I have disease down there too and had an L3 disc rupture with a free fragment, which I wouldn’t wish on my second or third worst enemy. The same neurosurgeon who did my neck talked me out of surgery for that and I’m asymptomatic and happy nine years out.