Old 11-23-18, 02:01 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Loaded touring... 3x6 or 3x7?

Who痴 riding with such setups?

I知 beginning the process of choosing gears for a project, but my lack of experience coupled with a limited knowledge, and I知 feeling more than stumped.

My intention is to head for miles, and miles out of town. Bike camping. Mostly long stretches of flat terrain with a modest incline that the eye might miss... Until well out of dodge that is! At which point real climbing will be a part of the deal.

Here痴 what I知 working with:
  • Trek 520 touring frame (long chain stays)
  • Shimano FH-1055; 32 spoke, 126mm OLN (takes UG & HG)
  • Stronglight 99; 86 bcd (right now I have 48t/42t/28t chainrings, and am willing to swap out as necessary)
  • Cyclone M-II GT derailleurs
  • Suntour barcons

I do not currently have a cassette for this build.

I値l be building a pair of H+ Son TB14 rims, and mounting Soma Vitesse 700x33c tires.

I知 a fan of minimalism, but at times when there is a need to go fully loaded, the bike will carry cargo on its front, and rear with low riders, as well as a handlebar, and saddle bag. Still, as much as I can help it, gear will be of the lightweight variety. I weigh in at 150lbs.

In the saddle, under the conditions of regular city commuting, I consider myself an easy going rider. While I do want to challenge my progress in fitness. I don稚 necessarily plan on changing my easy going approach to cycling as I take on touring next spring.

So... 3x6, 3x7... What gears (front & rear) are you all using for similar purposes as I知 planning for? Or what feedback can you offer to help take the guesswork out of selecting a cassette, chainrings, ratios, chain length... ?

Btw, I知 not too sharp about diligently replying to replies here in the forum even if I mean to be. So let me just say thanks in advance to all!