View Single Post
Old 07-29-19, 01:05 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
So how does a folding mtb, converted to all-road bike with 42mm tires ride vs guys on niffy (and often much pricier) road bikes?

42mm tires certainly add to the pedaling weight.
Of course the flexibility of the bike does mean that I can change to more narrow 32mm or 38mm tires, but its my first time with such wide tires and we never know if we never try.
I find that once pumped up to 55psi, the contact width of the tires is not much bigger than 700c 25mm tires.
Road feel is different from road tires since it more damping, and as such, it will feel more like an MTB than a road bike due to this lack of high frequency buzzing.

AM Classic MTB Race wheels with Panaracer Pari Moto 42mm for all that gravel bike goodness

The advantage of the wide tires is the damping and its ability to roll better when the road gets bad/uneven.
When roads get bad, there is often that loss of power and traction, especially going up hill.
Add to this fatigue, headwind and heat, and morale drops pretty quickly.
But with these 42mm tires, there is a very noticeable removal of this effect.
I found myself climbing very consistently when many of the folks on road bikes started to lag with the above road conditions.
Very positive effect not only on actual handing up such situations, but also on rider morale.

Last edited by pinholecam; 07-29-19 at 01:13 AM.
Likes For pinholecam: