View Single Post
Old 09-07-22, 01:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Following/piggybacking as I just got an old Dawes touring bike with a Brooks B.17 that may be beyond saving. Used up nearly half a tin of Kiwi saddle soap (on a damp t-shirt) and it would still turn the rag coffee brown. Went to a stiff-ish brush from there, but that's starting to remove surface. Should I just seal the gunk somehow? I don't have Proofide at hand, was going to use Timberland "waxed leather protector" which is beeswax and coconut oil. Well, the current formulation is, however this tin might be 20 years old.
You might have been better off going slower, sparingly to see how it responds.

I would encourage you to stop where you're at and wait a couple of days and see.

You can always ride them anyway but I would plan on it possibly being a display only saddle.

Wipe it down good and get any excess off for now and I would not plan on using anymore.