View Single Post
Old 01-15-23, 10:29 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Good morning everyone!

Fell asleep last night trying to get through all of the well thought out replies.

Finished reading them all up to this point and I feel that few responses have actually addressed the topic adequately. Because the replies have become lists of rational behaviors, and rational behavior doesn't cohere directly with spirituality, therefore the responses have become the familiar litany, each listed piece of advice like a prayer bead spoken out loud as exoteric tokens of something profoundly esoteric.

Perhaps there are occult and taboo practices among us. I bet there are.

I applaud the responses that attest to the use of things like mascots like figureheads as some sort of magical talismans or simply interesting things to remind us to have fun and be careful.

I appreciate the one who confided that they believe in angels.

In counterpoint to these two examples I read scores of posts about mirrors and visual appearance.

Superstition is not spirituality, but it is in that category.

On long rides, and short, I've mulled over many things in my mind, from the mundane to the sublime. Over the years I know I've attained a few moments which have a spiritual quality to them.

Like what? You may ask, or not. Depending.

Not cogent here, most of the mentation didn't relate to cycling safety.

However there have been moments of situational awareness to which I would place in the category of intuition and the proverbial hunch.

I pay serious attention to my intuition. I think there is a spiritual element to this practice. It feels that way. However my rational mind just comes to the conclusion that this is simply the microbiotic gut and autonomous nervous system just acting in their own interests. Truly, sometimes I think the ego which I describe as me, is simply a vessel for the intentions of our culture and the millions of beings that live in and on me.

And so I try not to behave like an imperious and insensitive CEO and enslave my body parts to exhaustion, malnutrition, and death.

I have to laugh along with the old trope: There is no "I" in team.

Another odd thing, to which some will say is crazy, and some will identify with, are the voices in my head. Who hasn't tried to come up with a "good" Strava title for an activity which is underway? (The answer is anyone who doesn't use Strava.) Just the simple act of trying to compose prose while riding employs a facility for voices in the head.

And then there is the "ear-worm" which is another kind of voice in the head.

The illumination and revelation of a situation can sometimes be accessed by the means of intention.

The practice of lucid dreaming can be applied to the so called waking state in which we live. For I do believe [LOL a loaded term] I do go around, and others may as well, in a kind of sleep, and even ride asleep.

Because safety is utmost, I read all of the posts so that I would leave no stone unturned here. No offense intended - most of the advice was the same old useful crap.

As a child I was taught to pray and learned how do it. I try to humble myself. I've had some accidents: hit from behind, hit from side, right hook, dodged left hooks (where the only out is difficult), heckled by bigots, had bottles thrown at me, rode into curbs, low sided, misjudged many-a-thing, crashed on perilous mountain bike descents, engaged a bad squirrel, and performed stupid maneuvers in this life so far.

I endeavor to wake up and be happy each day with the intention of having another safe ride. If I don't feel like riding, I don't.

The bicycle is an instrument we play. As child I was instructed to address the piano with respect and upon performance begin in earnest.

My final rational piece of advice:

Maintain your equipment and perform pre-trip inspections,
Likes For Sorcerer: