Old 02-06-21, 12:55 PM
longhitv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
Looking for advice for a Mid late 90s classic or 80s bike

Good Morning.

I picked up a 1982 Raleigh before Christmas for $50, added some new NOS Suntour parts and it’s tuned, works so so and I’ve been riding a little. (I understand that this bike is base with the basic parts). I don’t think it’s worth investing much more on such a basic bike.

I’m 6’3 225lbs and looking to get back down to my 207lb weight. So a 59-61 cm frame

I don’t want to do long 100 km plus rides. I don’t want to do Vancouver to Squamish or to Whistler rides.

I’m looking mostly to just ride from Coquitlam to Langley or Pitt Meadows 20km maybe 30km return. Flat surfaces on a Sunny Saturday or Sunday morning. Have a coffee somewhere and head back done by 10am. Likely I’ll be solo, but at times a friend or two may jump in.

I don’t think I want a newer Carbon frame. Everyone in my office seems to have Treks and Giants and $900-1200 used bikes and that’s great, it’s just not me. I kind of like antiquated classic stuff. I have friends with very expensive $13k plus bikes, I don’t want to ride with them or keep up. Nor would I want a set up like that.

Looking for some advice on a new set up.

Do I get a Bianchi, an Aluminum Alan or Vitus or Orbea, or find a nice mid 90s Masi bike. I likely won’t do a lot of hills so this is flat riding to get a sweat going and lose a few pounds. (Fairly active anyways, runs, gym etc). Campagnolo gear I’m guessing will be the better choice with lightweight aluminum or Reynolds wheels. Steel or Aluminum frames?

I’m happy to splurge a little for that Celeste green Bianchi colour just so that when I’m having coffee it’s a little different than all the Carbon bikes. Wouldn’t mind some advice on Alloy versus steel, lightweight wheel choices or ideas. Or if someone has something cool for me they may want to sell.

My budget is under $1000 give or take. Which – seems like there is a lot of choice out there.