Old 02-08-21, 11:10 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
longhitv I did not see any mention of you wanting to mechanic or build a bike yourself. By this I assume you want a solution with a minimum of mechanic or build work. If I'm right about this then this rather dictates where you are going. I agree that the 32mm tire is a good choice for us Clydes. To get a bicycle that will accommodate bigger tires you can look at bicycles that have or could have fenders. These bikes usually will have the clearance to put on 32mm tires. Most older steel 10 speed style bikes from the 70's and 80's that had fender clearance would work. However the wheel size of that era was 27" x 1 1/4". 1 1/4" does work out to be 32mm wide. If you are OK with this older wheel size then Craigslist or its equivalent in Canada is your hunting ground. If you desire newer style bikes that have bigger tire clearance then look no further than so called gravel bikes. They can have tire sizes up to 50mm or more now a days. Another type of bike that you might look at are cycle cross racing bikes. Essentially these bikes are racing bikes with drop bars and gears but with wider tires and cantilever or disc brakes. All used bikes have been dropped, crashed, and treated poorly sometime in the past. So carefully inspect frames, forks, and component groups for condition problems before buying. I have bought many bikes with worn out components and replaced those components and had fine riding bicycles. Good luck with your search.
Likes For tallbikeman: