Old 11-16-22, 04:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I had to quit taking ibuprofen regularly after more than 20 years of taking it daily. It began aggravating my symptoms of psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis. After three consecutive days of taking ibuprofen I'd develop plaque psoriasis on my forehead, behind my ears and between the webs of my fingers. Within a week the skin would split. Very painful.

It's all that was prescribed for me in 2018 after I was hit by a car, dislocating and breaking my shoulder. The pain was far worse than anything ibuprofen can handle, but that health care system was more concerned about trouble from the DEA, and pushing their own pain management system that was morphed into a Medicare milking scheme.

Occasionally I'll take acetaminophen now, although it does very little. Aspirin doesn't do much for me either. But I'll mix the two and drink coffee if the pain is bad enough, especially headaches.

According to research, taking NSAIDs interferes with prostaglandins and can thwart the body's adaptation to exercise. Apparently the body needs to hurt in order to get stronger. That's what they always hollered in boot camp, anyway. But if I'm recalling correctly, those studies are of younger, elite, or very experienced athletes. It might be a marginal gains kind of factor that we mere mortals wouldn't even notice.

I have elevated monocytes and chronic low level inflammation, according to every twice-annual lab tests. Probably related to my auto immune disorder. Taking NSAIDs hasn't made any difference, so I was willing to discontinue daily doses of ibuprofen or even low dose aspirin.