Old 10-06-16, 11:05 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My new-to-me 1992 Univega came fitted with one of those, or a very similar kickstand that clamps around both the chainstay and seatstay. First kickstand I've had that I wasn't tempted to remove immediately. And as you described, there's plenty of clearance for the pedals to spin backward -- handy for quick chain cleaning with one of those solvent filled reservoir brush doodads.
Yeah, I think it's a quality product. I may have overpaid for it a bit, but the shipping probably would have made up for it and I got to support my local bike shop, even if it was a minor purchase. The ones I found on Amazon didn't look very promising, only clamping to the chain stay and the reviews said that if you overtighten the set screws it will strip the threads on the aluminum housing. The one I bought came with a couple of thick, split plastic tubes to put around the seat stay and chain stay so the part which clamps to them doesn't scratch the paint. And being a non-adustable height kickstand it seems like it would be a bit more sturdy than those which are adjustable.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 10-06-16 at 11:11 AM.