View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 04:19 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I don't think the Neos derailleur will give you anymore chain wrap capacity. But you can give it a test to measure the capacity. If the chain is removable, take it off, then grab a new chain and wrap it through the cassette/chainring/RD. Shift to the largest cog. Pull the chain as short as it will go just before the RD cage is fully extended/rotated, and use a little hook to hold the chain in place. Count or mark the length. Shift to the smallest cog. Release more chain length until the jockey/pulley wheels run out of capacity. Count the new chain length. The difference will be the chain wrap capacity of the RD.

If you have a 12-32 cassette and a double chainring with a 16T jump, then you need an RD with a capacity of (32-12) + 16 = 36 links. However, if you lengthen the chain a little bit and allow the cage to drag on the small small combination, you might be able to get away with a capacity of 33-34 links.

My 12-34T cassette and 24/44T chainrings has a capacity of 42. The 4700-GS has a capacity of 41, but in reality from what I remember, I think I was able to fit all 42 teeth into it, but I could be remembering wrong. Originally I had a 26/46T double. When I switched to 24/44T, I kept the same chain length in case I decide to switch back to the larger chainrings in the future, so the 2 smallest small-small combo will drag on the cage, which is fine since I don't need to use those gears.