Old 10-02-21, 01:51 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
I guess I should probably provide an update on how it’s going with the regeared Tern. Since I’m awaiting a new shift pin for my Dahon, I’ve been solely riding around on the Tern for the last month or so, so I feel I can comment a bit more now.

In general, the Microshift Advent groupset shifts cleanly and solidly - it’s not a soft touch to shift, but shifting feels purposeful. Clearance is okay - I’m now running Schwalbe Big Apples and with them pumped up reasonably firmly I haven’t grounded out on bumps and kerbs. I would be wary of using the Advent setup on 406 wheels with skinny tyres but 451s should be more comfortable with that set up. I wouldn’t want to head hugely off-road on it, but on gravel tracks and rail trails it seems to collect as much road dirt as the Dahon did.

In terms of climbing, it’s able to handle both the short sharp and long dragging hills locally without needing to get out of the saddle. I can push it on the flat past the highest gear with some effort, but as the bike is set up quite upright with Soma Sparrow bars I doubt its intended user will be doing that often.

Had I not picked up the Dahon Speed TR soon after the Tern, I would be quite happy with another Link or similar 20” folder switched to Microshift Advent for my own use - although I think I would have kept a 52t chainring on it and picked up some drop bars, the Advent road brifters and a pair of Travel Agents for a more zippy journey.

The other change that surprised me was the ride after swapping tyres. I found the Tern quite leaden with the Schwalbe Duranos on it compared to the Big Apple-Marathon combo on the Dahon. Switching to Big Apples all round has made for a much more fun, lively ride.

Last edited by Reddleman; 10-02-21 at 01:54 AM.
Likes For Reddleman: