Old 03-08-22, 09:13 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Just to give you a diffent take on the Xootr Swift's high BB height - I don't feel strongly about it, but I kinda like it.

A few months prior to acquiring my Swift I had a nasty crash on my road bike while taking a corner at high speed. As I was leaning into the curve while pedaling one of the pedals struck the asphalt. It was abrupt and scary and I suffered a mild concussion from the whiplash force as a result (I didn't hit my head). This trauma was still fresh enough in my mind when I got the Swift that I immediately noticed that a similar crash would be nearly impossible riding the new bike given its generous pedal clearance. In fact (knock on wood) I haven't had a single serious crash in the five years since a Swift became my main ride. I'm very confident in the bike's safety.

That said, I imagine a lower BB height would possibly lower the centre of gravity on the bike giving it better handling characteristics? That would actually be nice. Seems it might also improve aerodynamics, no? Anybody please feel free to jump in and expand on the pros and cons of lowering the BB height. I don't care that much about it, but I thought I'd give a counterpoint and it's an interesting aspect to discuss.

On another topic, a rear derailleur seems to me the way forward for this bike. While an IGH does have some advantages, these are heavier, less efficient and more expensive. A derailleur is simpler and easier to replace. The Swift to my thinking should be much more an everyman's answer to a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket or a Tyrrell than a direct competitor to the Dahon Boardwalk. There seems to me plenty of variety when it comes to utility focused folding bikes already on the market. Much less so for folders aimed at delivering high performance. I think that the default Swift should focus on being nimble and fast, yet relatively affordable. I just can't think of a single road racing bike that uses an IGH over a derailleur and to me that's what a Swift is.

Do you have a copy of the Alu-Swift of your own, Pingus? Have you had any experience with riding this bike? If you haven't maybe good to get your hands on one and see what your own thoughts are?
I have never had the pleasure of riding a Swift. Anyone in Virginia have one?
Likes For Pinigis: