3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Of course, everyone has their own personal ‘icons’ & grail bikes, but what (road) bikes have the kind of iconic status of the Peugeot PX-10? A late 60s- mid 70s white PX-10 is immediately recognizable and conjures a nostalgia even among folks who haven’t ridden a bike in years. I have a hard time coming up with other models that have that kind of iconic singularity. An all-chrome Paramount, maybe? A celeste-green Bianchi (though that isn’t a specific model….)? What other near-instantly recognizable classic & vintage icons are there?
...I can still (barely) remember back in those years of the 70's, when everyone wanted one of the "new ten speeds".
I never saw a PX-10 on the street or at the campus at U of MD, but I did see an endless parade of UO-8's.

If ubiquitous is at all synonymous with "iconic", the UO-8 is right up there with the Varsity on the list.

In the prior decade, if you didn't have a Schwinn (because they cost more), your parents bought you a Raleigh built 3 speed, one of the "Sports" cones. Those suckers were everywhere, where I lived on the East coast.