3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Looks like I’m not alone. Good thing it’s winter and I am retired and have time as I am forcing myself to at least dabble a bit in this art. My largest damaged areas are perhaps 3x10cm. The 800 and 1200 sandpaper made a nice finish, but my color match is off. Looks like that first coat will be considered primer. The factory paint seems thick and tough which seems to help a bit.

I have done some crude touch ups before, but this is an attempt to up my skills a wee bit. That first coat as primer is good perhaps as this frame is chrome underneath. That may be why my color match was off too. I am also repairing a gray/silver sort of color which I’ve heard in the automotive world is hard to match. Nice winter chores I guess.
...there are a boatload of variations on metallic silver. Not only the color and value will vary, but the flake itself is all over the map. I just stripped and painted an entire frame last summer, that was not that bad, and had good decals still, just because I didn't want to fiddle around with matching the silver paint on it.

OTOH, think how much you will learn.