View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 05:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by crn3371
I dropped my rear wheel and measured width between the chainstays where it line up with the tire and got 34mm, so around 3mm clearance between tire a chainstay. ..... It’s looking like if I want new wheels I’ll have to also get new tires, and it looks like 700x25’s are going to be as wide as I should go.
I highly doubt you'll have a problem. In any case you can always buy new tires if or when it becomes necessary.

You currently have 3mm per side clearance. Using a rim that's 3mm wider will increase overall width by about 1mm, or about 0.5mm per side, reducing that clearance to 2.5mm or so. The concerns flex when climbing are exaggerated so that shouldn't be an issue. However you will have less forgiveness should the wheel get bent far from home, though you've done so OK so far.

In your shoes, I'd buy the wheels I want, and wait and see about the tire. I'd then revisit the clearance issue when it's time to buy the replacement.

FWIW - I don't normally carry a spoke wrench except for multi day tours. But one of my road bikes has very minimal tire clearance (2mm or so). I keep a spoke wrench with that bike because I hate walking, and because of Murphy's Law.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.