View Single Post
Old 02-02-16, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Is a trunk bag going to fit and be easy-on/easy-off with that pannier in place? On many trunk bags (except some Topeaks) you need to wrap a Velcro strap around the sides to hold it on. Also, I know you say you usually take off both the pannier and the trunk bag, but in cases where you only want to remove one or the other, you might have some hassles. Just sayin'.

I've been looking at the Topeak MTX, EX, and DX combination trunk bag/panniers that slide on and off a Topeak rack. The panniers are smaller and more lightweight than what you have, but there are two instead of one. These may be worth checking out. (I know...I don't like to replace things I already have, either!)
I agree that using a trunk bag and panniers is often difficult. But there are other options out there than the Topeak system. Ortlieb makes a bag with a quick release system that is very secure and far superior to velcro. Rixen Kaul (Klickfix) makes the Rackpack 1 and 2 which use a quick release system that attaches to the rack without extra hardware. Those bags aren't cheap ($100 to $145 for the Ortlieb and $80 to $110 for the Klickfix) but I've found that mine has lasted much longer than previous velcro attached bags I've owned. I have an Ortlieb mount that I've use regularly (4 to 7 times per week) for about 10 years now and it's not showing any signs of wearing out. I've never been able to get more than a couple of years out of a velcro bag before the velcro loses its grip.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!