Old 08-08-19, 07:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Regarding the recovery aspect, that's a valid point too. For many of us, relief from pain and inflammation is a routine part of recovery. Helps get us back on the bike, walking or doing whatever exercise helps keep us moving. And pain relief also helps relieve anxiety, tension, stress, all of which contribute to poor dietary habits, especially indulging in comfort foods.

I've heard claims that CBD can relieve inflammation. I haven't seen any studies confirming that. Pain relief doesn't necessarily mean it's also reducing inflammation.

One of those claiming relief from both pain and inflammation is Floyd Landis (Floyd's of Leadville), who's suffered from hip pain since he was in his 20s from professional cycling and related injuries. That's what finally sold me on suspending my usual skepticism and at least trying CBD. Knowing what chronic severe pain feels like, I knew it would either work or it wouldn't, but no placebo effect would persuade me my neck and shoulder weren't aching.

So while CBD helps my pain, I still take a prescription NSAID for inflammation (diclofenac). If studies show that CBD does relieve inflammation I'll consider discontinuing all NSAIDs. But at least I've cut back on the ibuprofen. For more than a decade after my neck and back were broken in 2001 I took a fistful of ibuprofen every day, usually 800-2400 mg a day. It barely helped with pain. It was a relief to get the diclofenac prescription -- it's just two small enteric coated pills a day. I've been out of it for a week or two and had to return to using ibuprofen.

Since using an effective brand and type of CBD I've cut back to only on 200 mg ibuprofen on rare occasions during bike rides when my neck starts aching -- usually after 30 miles or so. My limit is about 50 miles for now before the pain becomes unbearable. And it usually takes a full day and visit to my PT or chiropractor to loosen up the knotted muscles.

There's also some mild anxiety relief, although that may be due in part to the pain relief. Folks with chronic pain often don't realize how tense they are until they get some real pain relief and can relax. It doesn't have the effect of a prescription tranquilizer, or even melatonin or valerian root.

I've used the CBD isolates for my cats and it seems to help. The oldest is 16 now and last year she wasn't eating or moving around much and often seemed to cry out in pain. Since using a tiny amount of CBD isolate in the common drinking water dish, she's put on weight, is more active and even plays a little with the other cats. And all three cats no longer freak out during thunderstorms, yet they aren't doped up. As another BF member pointed out on another discussion about CBD, animals probably don't respond to a placebo effect. If it works, it works, but they can't be fooled by placebo. It's also possible that the home life overall is less stressful now, so perhaps it's coincidental. Last year was just plain awful, so perhaps the oldest cat was picking up on that stress level.
I would assume that you're taking these one at a time since its not possible to made any determination on its effectiveness if you're taking it in combination with some other medication. I've been on the fence with trying CBD oil (its expensive and may not work at all) for some time now. But since its only defined as a pain reliever without specifics to the types of pain it can reduce.

Pain covers a great deal of territory and can be caused by a number of factors, not all of which work well with some types of ailments. Funny, you should mention diclofenac/Voltaren because I've been using the cream to spot reduce my knee and lower back pain for a while.

On my last doctor's visit, she mentioned diclofenac in pill form and I've been using that with great results -- although I try not to take it every day. Problems is, I have more than one type of pain. While it works very well on my neck and lower back (muscle aches), it does nothing for my upper back and shoulder pain. Which I suspect is more nerve induced pain.

As for your cat, they may not be fooled into a placebo response (for obvious reasons), but the problem with animal studies is that you have to base your entire findinga on observation alone, since they can't tell you if they feel any better or not. Cats are particularly challenging since they don't show much change the way many dogs or some other animals do. If your cat were human it would probably be 100 years old.