Old 08-08-21, 09:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Nice! For all of 2020 and the first 6 months of this year, I was FG-only, too. My riding was much diminished and only around town, so the FG made sense for that.

I told some friends that I worried about having to relearn how to ride a derailleur bike. I was only half-kidding.
I don’t know if it will ever make sense for me to ride FG, but I gained a better appreciation for the physics of it in that thread where we discussed internal work and whether FG was easier than SS. My big takeaway was that unlike a freewheel bike, the amount of pedal work you do on FG matters every instant of a ride.

I can say that I’ve ridden more this last year than any of the previous few, most of which I was riding geared bikes.

I think there may be a fun factor and maybe something about the strength and conditioning from SS that was conducive to more and somewhat longer rides. Also probably the pandemic affected my schedule and freed up more riding time last fall when the weather was generally great here. Oh and I really got into slogging over cold muddy trails this winter so I kept the mileage up all through the year.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-08-21 at 09:09 PM.