View Single Post
Old 08-17-21, 07:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
most folks aren't civil engineers like you and don't possess the knowledge to fully appreciate the nuance of the different material types. Saying paved surface is a decent heuristic for describing a road that isn't gravel to all but the most dogmatically pedantic. That you've never heard the surface of a paved road referred to as tarmac tells me you need to buy a plane ticket, pack your bike, and come to Europe...even if it isn't really tarmac, the road riding here is much better than the States.
This back and forth on what is paved or what is a surface, or whatever was quite confusing.
I use the term 'paved road' for anything that a bunch of workers laid down with big machines and it needed time to dry/cool. I used 'gravel' for any unpaved roads that are made up of an ever changing varied mix of dirt, rock, and dust.

Clearly I am misusing the terms compared to what is industry proper, but it has never confused anyone Ive spoken with.
Interesting to learn...just not sure if I learned or what.
Likes For mstateglfr: