View Single Post
Old 04-01-22, 04:54 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Is that a lugged unicrown fork?
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I think that the fork was sourced from Panasonic by Schwinn. I could swear it looks the same as the Panasonic MC-2500 I had.
Originally Posted by Korina
From what I understand, people didn't trust early unicrown forks, so mfrs. added lugs to reassure them.
That's my understanding as well. These were on the high end bikes for a few years- it's interesting that the unicrown was "hi-tech" and special at the time- but people didn't trust the change from a "real" fork crown.

For those of you playing along at home- the Cimarron was Schwinn's top of the line bike- and it was really special. CrMo frame and fork, top of the line components- and the frame was fillet brazed at the front and lugged at the rear. The next model down, the High Sierra, was fillet brazed in the front, but TIG welded at the seat cluster and BB.

There's a whole lot of super cool awesomeness going on with that bike!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.