Old 09-14-20, 11:59 AM
jfoobar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Opinions on Racktime vs. Topeak rack/bag ecosystems?

I am considering adding a rear rack from one of these two ecosystems that has the proprietary connectors for trunk bags, baskets, etc. Topeak seems to be far more popular in the U.S. (REI, some local LBS, etc.) and I already own one of their bags and a non-touring rack and it worked reasonably well for the time I used it on a bike that I no longer ride. However, I don't consider this a strong reason to stay with Topeak, especially since I cannot use the rack I already have for panniers. Both make touring-oriented tacks ("Super Tourist" line for Topeak, "Tourit"/"Addit" from Racktime that I could use when I only wanted to use a trunk bag for light touring but put rear panniers on later if I want to. Both racks are aluminum instead of steel. Tubus makes the Racktime racks IIRC.

Anyone have any comparitive experience or thoughts between the two? It seems that Specialized has started including Racktime-compatible racks on some of their newer e-bikes so the availability of Racktime stuff in the U.S. will probably be improving.