oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
My kid has one. It's been in several incarnations. Crashed it, busted the canti boss, which of course meant new forks. He bent those so, new forks, again.

I found it was actually quite the handful to ride, so on the third forks I made sure they had a bunch more trail. That dampened things down a lot.

For a few years he rode it with out crashing, so we powdercoated it Prismatic Powders Lipstick pink, loaded it up with Jim Blackburn front low-rider rack & a milk crate on a Blackpurn rear rack. He used it as a commuter for a big portion of his college experience

When the Zac19 rear gave up the ghost, we had a Nuvinci N380 laced up & installed a 1x on a CS-M785 crank. The Nuvinci is sort of: "meh." But, he rode it anyways.

IIRC:
The bottom bracket is a standard road British BSA68,
The rear drop out spacing is 135mm quick release.
The headset is a standard 1 inch threaded.
700x35 was the biggest tire we could get to fit.
It's not a particularly light frameset at around 6 pounds.

Attaching a rear fender & a rack posed a challenge for us because there was only 1 set of M5 bolt holes at the rear drop outs. This bike is clearly designed to have a rack but no fenders. In the end, a rubber cushioned P-clamp to the chainstay brace, a mid-fender P-clamp to the underside of the rack, & 2 p-clamps attaching the fenderstays to the rack support legs got the job done.

Vintagecannondale has the cable guides.

The bike is hanging in my garage right now with a Innicycle threadless conversion headset installed, drop bars & 2x10 groupset. The hold up is finding a road wheelset with the 135mm rear axle spacing that isn't disc. (Of course, I could just leave the disc not installed.)

Good luck.
How do the drop bars work with it? Do you remember what made it such a handful to ride? Was it just the lively, fat mid-90s aluminum? Light trails are all it would see... My wife's middle name is Careful, so the likelihood of bent forks and wheels is lower than low!