Old 05-02-21, 10:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I know this statement will be controversial, but what the H. Have often wondered how effective a rear view mirror or radar or sensors are at actually preventing a collision between an inattentive driver and a cyclist. If the driver has his eyes off the road and is heading towards the shoulder at 45 and the cyclist is doing 15, with a couple of second closing speed and a relative distance of 50 feet, can a cyclist actually get off the shoulder and into a ditch in time? What are the chances that the cyclist is not monitoring their device at that time?

I used a mirror when I first started cycling because to be honest, I was inexperienced and fearful of being hit. After, in all likelihood of 100,000 miles, I have yet been run down from the back which means, TO ME, that the odds are relatively small of that event occurring. That’s the way my brain works is looking at the odds of an event and the risk versus reward. Can I get off the road fast enough when a vehicle bearing down on me at 3 to 4 times my speed heads towards me? Personally I doubt it, especially if they go off the shoulder too.

I can hear the rebuttals, of why not take every precaution, why not be safe than sorry, I just feel better, but I would rather relax rather than constantly be monitoring that there is a remote chance. Cycling is inherently risky and I accept that risk, remembering that I like my odds.

The only time I would fine a mirror handy is on a couple of rural roads that are so rutted and broken up that the only comfortable place to ride is the center of the lane and it would give me time to see oncoming cars, so I can get over, rather than looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds.

So how many can definitively state their life has been saved by a mirror, radar, or what have you?. My sample size is one, so please educate me. Or does peace of mind over rule the odds?

Likes For rsbob: