Thread: Saddle Test!
View Single Post
Old 01-24-22, 10:59 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Yesterday I visiting the library and specifically looked for saddles with flatter profiles (side to side). There were two or three options, and I went with the WTB Koda. They only had the steel-rail model, but for testing purposes that shouldn't matter. I rode my cross/commuter bike to the shop, rather than the rando bike it's ultimately going on. Nonetheless I had them install it on the bike so I could give it a quick test on the 10 mile ride home. Immediately it felt very different, with my weight clearly on the sit bones. Which is the idea, right? Reading about this saddle, I learn it was designed by WTB for women with input from women. But then men tried it and like it, so WTB is marketing it as unisex. The goal here is a 1200km brevet saddle that doesn't make my junk go numb; if it takes a saddle inspired by female anatomy to do that, okay by me.

The test so far:

Specialized Romin 150mm: No, too narrow. Consider the 158mm version.
Specialized Power 168mm: Maybe. Consider for a longer test.
Fizik Tempo Argo 160mm: No. Sit bone area pain 35 miles into 200k.
(pause in test, rode two 200k brevets on my Selle Anatomica. Which reminded me this is not the right saddle for me)
WTB Koda 145mm test in progress
Likes For downtube42: