Thread: Saddle Test!
View Single Post
Old 01-24-22, 04:00 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Reading about this saddle, I learn it was designed by WTB for women with input from women. But then men tried it and like it, so WTB is marketing it as unisex. The goal here is a 1200km brevet saddle that doesn't make my junk go numb; if it takes a saddle inspired by female anatomy to do that, okay by me.
Given that it sounds like you want ones on the wide-ish side of average and a cut-out, you definitely want to be including women's saddles in your search space. Basically, from what I can tell, the development of most modern women's saddles went like this:
1. companies started making cut-out/channeled saddles marketed at men with numbness issues
2. women started buying them in droves but did sometimes complain they were too narrow, due to their slightly-wider average sitbone width
3. women's saddles (i.e. slightly wider ones) started having cutouts/channels too

So basically, if that one doesn't work, absolutely look on both sets of shelves for the next one to try.