Old 03-15-22, 04:30 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Considering and need some input

I am a regular 2 wheel rider (Bike Friday) but a pending medical diagnosis may require me to switch to a trike. While I will miss riding my BF tremendously, the idea of not riding at all is unacceptable. So I will make whatever modifications I can, within a limited budget.
I currently own an e-assist that can easily be mounted on a front wheel delta trike. Using my current system would save me some $ and allow me to spend a bit more on a trike. However, I've never ridden a trike, there aren't many shops around that sell them, so it's
possible I would be buying online. If I don't have to buy a new motor, my budget would be $2k max. I'm 72 so my riding days are more behind me than ahead, I use my bike to get everywhere on mainly flat surfaces, and pull my Burley Travoy home from Costco with
a full load. I am guessing the "jump on Bart after folding the BF" thing is not going to work with a recumbent, so my range will be a bit more limited, but that's just one of many compromises.

Anyway, given that 15mph is a fine speed imo, and I prefer a higher seating position for visibility and comfort, does anyone have thoughts on a delta trike within my budget? I wrench my own bike and will continue to do so, although I'll have to learn a few things specific to
a trike.. In my parts box I already have a pretty decent rear der I can swap out for the cheap ones, I've got my own pedals as well. I'm used to upgrading as things wear out and I have a fair set of tools.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.