OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's not just a matter of how smooth it is. Apparently asphalt is softer to the impact, enough that it makes a difference to the knees. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's apparently the reason runners prefer asphalt. Still I agree with you that they should be aware they they are the ones bending the rules and as such should be courteous to those they are inhibiting.

This thread reminds me of Westlake Village where there are usually more runners in the street than on the sidewalk going around the lake, and many of them are spoiled and don't care who they're impeding. I actually once got scolded by a lady who was walking all the way on the line between the bike lane and the motor vehicle lane because I had the nerve to pass her in the 12' of space between her and the curb (8' parking lane + 4' bike lane).
[[b]emphasis mine] This reminds me of some very peculiar courtesy from some runners in the bike lane I've encountered who have actually moved over into the traffic lane to make space for me and my wife. Some have even ventured into the second traffic lane (two traffic lanes each direction plus bike lane). There's a nice sidewalk available, but I guess the asphalt is really that much nicer. <shrug>
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

Last edited by OPC; 05-14-21 at 08:28 AM. Reason: formatting