View Single Post
Old 12-24-21, 03:24 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Tom, the reason I suggested you build your bike with a rear spacing of 135 is because there is less dish on the wheel and therefore it is a stronger wheel. This assumes of course that you have a 135mm hub (or can change a present hub to 135mm spacing). When I recently built my wife a new bike I bought a White Industries hub with 135mm spacing.

A 130 rear wheel is pretty severely dished. The reason manufacturers didn't make it wider when more rear cogs were added is so that they didn't make prior hubs and frames obsolete. Not because it was superior engineering. If Tom can find or make a 135 hub that is his best option using rim brakes.

Through axles with disc brakes are not a great combination for a beginner builder with minimal equipment. It demands accuracy or the wheel is not going to center nor the disc brakes properly positioned. It is hard enough for those without really good fixturing to get even vertical dropouts positioned so the wheel is centered. In the midwest, recreational riders that like to ride in good conditions don't require disc brakes. Neither do they benefit from the heavy steel fork blades and chain stays required to withstand the forces of using disc brakes.

Edit: If I understand the intent of your question correctly, I think you might be asking if using the hub/wheel you already have will work fine or it you need to go to the bother and/or expense if getting something other than what you already have. Of course the hub you already have will work fine. Millions of miles have been risen on 130mm rear hubs even though they require a lot of dish. In a perfect world when using rim brakes, a 135 rear wheel is stronger (less likely to go out of true) than a wheel with 130 spacing. Only you can decide the risk reward. I made my wife's bike 135 because everything was going to be new so there was no reason to make it 130. If there is a wheel problem, I don't need to find a convenient and much more common 130 spaced replacement wheel. Others may be in different situations and therefore choose other options. I mentioned 135 spacing to you because sometimes those that aren't custom builders don't realize they don't have to follow all the most common rules.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 12-24-21 at 04:20 PM.