cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by SquishyBiker
I've just changed my chain ring on my new bike to get a lower gear, and I was wondering what others are running on their 29ers for the harder climbs?
My new setup is 30T front (was 32T), 10-51T rear, but I'm considering even going down to 28T chain ring LOL
really sortta comes down to what you're trying to achieve. I'm new to '29' and 1x, but considering the possible 'gear ratios', reaching and using the lowest of the low is really greatly dependent on the conditions and surface of where and what you ride on; and if it's meant to be for 'climbing' vs some sort of 'trials' type riding. (I'm not good enough to do anything resembling 'trials', like Danny Mac... LOL!)
now having a 1x 11-51, I can;t imagine using the 51, likely the 42 below it is not gonna be much help either.
Conditions may nix the use of my lowest gears. so whether 42, 30 or 28, that becomes irrelevant for me.
Conditions here, are often dry, not much organic litter (which is a challenge by itself), lotsa sand and mixed with gravel and larger stone. Whatever uncovered rock there is is usually a version of sandstone/sedimentary - so not the grip of metamorphic/granite-like.
I don;t think I could retain ANY traction on anything I could visualize using a 32x51.
Whether a 30 or 28 might make a difference in using the gears just below (above) that - 36 & 42 - I wouldn;t know... haven't hit that kind of stuff yet on the 29r.
...not sure what kind of surface at what 'tilt' would allow use of a 32x51...?
Ride On
Yuri
OOPS, typo: "42, 30 or 28", should have read "32, 30 or 28"... LOL! my bad. so much for proof reading...
and this...
"I don;t think I could retain ANY traction on anything I could visualize using a 32x51."
should also read "AND I don;t think I have the watts to even haul up something that steep.... LOL! "

Last edited by cyclezen; 01-14-22 at 03:18 PM.