Old 08-06-22, 02:22 PM
ClydeRoad

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 Apex, 1985 Raleigh Marathon, 2008 Cannondale Trail SL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thinking of doing a cheap gravel conversion

So I’m mostly a roadie but I have a state forest with a ton of gravel roads right by my house and have been thinking of trying gravel out for a while. I’ve been trolling the web for deals and reading blogs and was wondering what others that have done gravel conversions thought of a few options I’m considering:

1. There are a few Trek Multitracks around, mostly 700s for about $100 that I could convert to drop bars.
2. There’s a Schwinn Crisscross for $25, early 90s that I’d do the same thing.
3. I have a ‘08 Cannondale 29er SL3 hard tail that I’ve considered converting but I think the reach would be too long.
4. Pick up an old steel road bike but then I feel like I’m stuck with a freewheel instead of hub if I want to change any gearing and I’m not trying to buy wheels, which is the same reason I’m not really looking at any old mtb.

I’m pretty bummed because I missed a chance at ‘93 Marin Muirwoods that looked pristine and had all its original pretty high end components.

I think ideally I’d like to get a Trek Multitrack 750 that’d be double butted cromoly and throw on the Microsoft advent drivetrain but it looks like they were all 7 speed so that won’t work and all the 750s around here go for too much to frankenbike them.