Old 08-06-22, 05:28 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeRoad
So I’m mostly a roadie but I have a state forest with a ton of gravel roads right by my house and have been thinking of trying gravel out for a while. I’ve been trolling the web for deals and reading blogs and was wondering what others that have done gravel conversions thought of a few options I’m considering:

1. There are a few Trek Multitracks around, mostly 700s for about $100 that I could convert to drop bars.
2. There’s a Schwinn Crisscross for $25, early 90s that I’d do the same thing.
3. I have a ‘08 Cannondale 29er SL3 hard tail that I’ve considered converting but I think the reach would be too long.
4. Pick up an old steel road bike but then I feel like I’m stuck with a freewheel instead of hub if I want to change any gearing and I’m not trying to buy wheels, which is the same reason I’m not really looking at any old mtb.

I’m pretty bummed because I missed a chance at ‘93 Marin Muirwoods that looked pristine and had all its original pretty high end components.

I think ideally I’d like to get a Trek Multitrack 750 that’d be double butted cromoly and throw on the Microsoft advent drivetrain but it looks like they were all 7 speed so that won’t work and all the 750s around here go for too much to frankenbike them.
The old GT Arette could be worth a look. Takes about a 700x43 or so. Frame triangle proportions don't look too bad for a dropbar.
You can see some dropbar build pics on R e d d i t.

First couple years of the GT Cirque with the Tange Infinity tubing take a 700x50. https://www.flickr.com/photos/79568674@N04/8563587571
Last frame I came across went for around 400 tho.

As mentioned, frame reach for a dropbar conversion on the Cannondale is generally an issue. Position in the drops also sometimes depending how low the front end is.
Alexscycle Japan sells the sub-50mm-reach alu Dixna Neither Cross that has a decent amount of rise and is flared. A few different widths.
There's also the Veno Borderless carbon from Japan, but that costs the bomb.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 08-06-22 at 05:36 PM. Reason: txt