Old 08-08-22, 03:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Yup. One piston was always a stupid design. For sure, get a cable TRP Spyre caliper. Mine is on my Rohloff14 tour bike, 120 lbs loaded.
ZERO squeaks and minimal fiddling. I have the gap bigger because I have track dropouts and it doesn't seem to matter the gap anyway.
I have really nice SA levers set to long pull. Stops on a dime any time. And besides, the TRP is 14 mm less chunky than a horribly UGLY BB7.
With my SA dyno drum brake in front, I have 100% all weather reliability.
It’s not that stupid a design. It works well for most mechanicals as long as they are set up properly. Issues with braking have more to do with the set up than with the caliper design. That said, the TRP Spyke/Spyre have their own problems. The biggest is the 3mm hex head socket on the pad adjuster. The pad adjuster is an aluminum part and the 3mm socket is very easily damaged. You can get replacements but getting the stripped pad adjuster out is difficult and can end up damaging the caliper.

Additionally, the pad adjuster can be too tight from the factory which means you are more likely to strip it on install. Nothing like having a shiny new set of brakes installed and ready to go but you can’t go use it because you are waiting for a replacement part.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: