Old 08-08-22, 10:05 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
On a bike, the rotors are flexible enough that they can be pushed into the other pad. No need for a caliper sliders like in cars with a very inflexible rotor.
Exactly! Paul's video on his Klampers (starting at 1:10):

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s not that stupid a design. It works well for most mechanicals as long as they are set up properly. Issues with braking have more to do with the set up than with the caliper design. That said, the TRP Spyke/Spyre have their own problems. The biggest is the 3mm hex head socket on the pad adjuster. The pad adjuster is an aluminum part and the 3mm socket is very easily damaged. You can get replacements but getting the stripped pad adjuster out is difficult and can end up damaging the caliper.

Additionally, the pad adjuster can be too tight from the factory which means you are more likely to strip it on install. Nothing like having a shiny new set of brakes installed and ready to go but you can’t go use it because you are waiting for a replacement part.
So it is not just me. TRP Spyres were my first disc brakes. Stripped one adjuster on install. Had to wait for a replacement. Another problem was adjusters vibrating loose after you turn them to adjust for some pad wear. I have read that the purple loctite can rebind, applying it kind of fixed this problem.
Likes For csport: