Old 09-05-22, 09:54 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
My fully loaded bike with food and water accounts for 28 percent of my total. Or to put it another way, the bike and gear weigh slightly less than half my body weight.
But I don't care too much about weight, I bring the things I appreciate having with me and i use everything. Also, I always tour alone so there's no concern for speed or the ability to climb at any certain rate. Whats most important to me is that I can relax and enjoy my time on the bike. I love saddle time the most.

Also, though, since I've never toured with another person, I can only guess the weight savings for each because you can share the load of common items such as stove and cookware. Looking at your photo, I's say those are modestly sized set-ups. But you also can't tell weight from a photo. Bulk and weight are not the same.

Another rule of thumb I adopted from Darren Alff is that you should be able to pick your bike up over a guardrail or stone wall. There's wisdom in that I think.

Last edited by Brett A; 09-05-22 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For Brett A: