Old 09-14-22, 04:44 AM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A canister stove is so much easier, quicker, safer and convenient. I’d go canister, and carry either a Trangia burner/ultralight kit, or a homemade can stove to use in an emergency if all you can find is alcohol. Also, would recommend a titanium ultralight grill rack for when you can use a fire.

A Trangia is fine to cook over, but takes forever to boil water and is a bit inconvenient to extinguish (not too bad but you kinda have to drop the lid onto it) if there is still fuel left when you finish cooking. Homemade stoves aren’t practical to extinguish, better just to heat some more water (you always could use some more for tea or washing up). A canister stove wastes nothing, you turn it off and you’re done.

I usually ended up (back in the day, it’s been a couple of years) using a combo of a wood fire for ambience and sometimes cooking, and a canister stove. Trangia when younger but it is heavier and slower.

This sort of thing is what I mean by a titanium grill:
https://www.amazon.com.au/TiTo-Titan...52460850&psc=1

The Trangia ultralight setup is this:
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/tra...mini/TRA100285
The burner is available separately as well but you will need a stand and wind shield if you go that way. A wind shield can just be a bit of foil, preferably heavy duty (like a disposable grill tray or turkey tray).

If you want to DIY an alcohol stove do a search for Pepsi can stove, cat can stove and ultralight hiking alcohol stove and have a look at the options. They are light, not too bulky, easy to make. They need a pot stand and a wind shield to work well.

(edit)

Sounds like you have experience with a number of these systems. Where are you travelling? You might be able to get more specific advice if we know where you're headed.

Last edited by Cave; 09-14-22 at 05:05 AM.