Old 09-14-22, 12:13 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Stop with the personal attacks.

You may have different experiences than I. This is what I do and why I do it that way.

I do what works for me. This is my experience, repeated over and again across the last 60 years of cycling using tubulars and clinchers.

How could you say I run "extremely high pressure" if you do not know what I weigh? I run what works. My experience has taught me what to use and, as it turns out, it is right in line with a lot of the tire pressure recommendations I read.

Whenever I run my tires at even moderately low pressure, I get flat tires from glass. It happened just last Friday when I was too lazy to pump them up and consciously thought, well, it's okay because everyone says running at lower pressures is a good thing.
This was the justification or rationalization I used. I knew it was wrong and sure enough, I got a flat from glass mid-ride.

Likewise, I do not use a wider (28 mm) tire in the rear because wide tires are the latest and greatest, I do so because when I use a more narrow tire (25mm), I get flats from glass. I do not get pinch flats, ever.

More personal and opinion based on my experience - latex tubes are terrible. I just dumped a set of Vittoria tubes. They ride nicely but it seems to be as much about their lower weight and their different sound as it is ride quality. You have to pump them up before every single ride or they flat out (reference the above). There is no amount of ride quality improvement that makes up for frequent flats (1/wk or 1/mo). I never have those problems with butyl tubes.

Right now, I am using Conti Race 28 tubes and Challenge tires on MAVIC MA-2 rims.

I think I'll just go for a ride. After all, I have new WHITE tires on my bike and want to "break them in". Maybe the sun and sand will darken them.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-14-22 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag: