Old 09-17-22, 04:39 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,358 Posts
I've seen a LOT more electric bikes around here. At least one out of ever four or five is an ebike. As they become more popular, and more affordable, there is true FOMO and people will want to see what they are missing and the 'old style' (i.e. human powered) bikes will collect more and more dust. People will also want to relive their childhood or get now what they couldn't afford when they were younger and for FAR more people now it is bmx instead of old road bikes.

At the estate sale I just went to where I picked up an '81 Trek 957 and an '87 560 Pro Series, I was a little worried about rushing out to where the bikes were and losing out on all of them. I shouldn't have been. I was the only one who went out to the 'old road bikes' where there were about 9 or 10 lined up, easily seen in the pictures of the sale. Everyone instead rushed downstairs to the bmx cache and a fight almost broke out. BMX stuff is red hot right now, because that is what this current generation (35-45yrs old) grew up on and are reliving their childhood. I think the classic road bikes from the 70s and 80s had already been relived by most of the generation that grew up on them, or we are starting to come out of that now.

Funny thing is, I didn't grow up around old road bikes at all - I was a bmx kid. I lived about a mile from a legit GT Bicycles store and would drool every time I went in. I'm the perfect candidate for all the crazy overpriced bmx stuff, but I somehow got turned on to all these lovely old road bikes and value the ride vs the wall hanging. I don't fit on a bmx like I used to.

I don't think they will ever quite be thrown out or be valueless though. There will always be a small contingent of folks that appreciate them, like any oddball hobby.

That being said, this sub usually has the second highest # of people viewing, just behind Bicycle Mechanics, if not in the lead.
Likes For AdventureManCO: