DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by edawggg
the pain is directly on the right side of my right knee. i can feel a tight little tendon or muscle or something and that is what hurts. ive been rolling around on my roller all up and down the thigh and no pain, soreness or tightness.

i hope the pain is just from improper fit
Well, IF it's ITBS, then first and foremost you need to rest it till the pain goes away and the inflammation settles down. Also, strengthening is all fine and good but you need to keep that IT band and glutes stretched, and there are a ton of stretches online to use. The foam roller is great and I use it too, but it won't get the glutes very well.

As for the bike fit, if it's ITBS I'm guessing the pain hits at the bottom of your pedal stroke as the IT band snaps over the femur, in which case your saddle might be too high and it's straightening your leg too much--so something to try. Like I said, though, best to make sure you have the right diagnosis before you embark on too many changes, and you've got that base covered.

I don't usually recommend the professional uber-fits from places like FitWerx et al, but if you are prone to a certain injury it might be money well spent. Having someone tailor your fit to your range of motion, flexibility, and unique injury issues is very valuable.

Last edited by DrPete; 05-31-11 at 10:31 AM.