View Single Post
Old 09-19-11, 10:51 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Bipsycho
The fact that a product goes extinct does not necessarily indicate that it is inferior. For example, I continue to be an avid SunTour user. One of my XC Pro rear derailleurs has over 50,000 miles on it WITH ITS ORIGINAL PULLEYS, and it is still working practically like new. SunTour failed because not because of poor products, but because of weaker marketing. As for Biopace, my opinion is that the inordinately influential Bicycling magazine is largely responsible for its demise. After initially praising Biopace (as they do for at least 90% of all new products they review), the magazine did a complete reversal and ridiculed it incessantly. This caused riders who had never even tried Biopace chainrings to believe that they were junk.
What I'm about to say a lot of people won't believe, but regardless what anyone thinks it's true. I have Suntour components too and love them. One of the bikes has the complete Superbe package on it. Those Superbe components have over 150,000 miles on them! Never had a pulley failure, in fact short of relubing I haven't had to replace any part including bearings, other than the front derailleur mounting band broke about 12 years ago and I replaced it with the exact same model I had in storage that was new. The only part that has less mileage on it is the headset because when I raced I used a different headset then about 12 years ago I replaced that headset (a Stronglight) with the Superbe I had in storage brand new; and the seat post from TTT to Superbe because I like the look of it better. Nothing was wrong with the Stronglight I just didn't like the black color and wanted the alloy silver look even though the Superbe headset (and seat post) was a tad heavier.