Old 06-05-18, 11:13 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Simonsky
All good points and I'm sure you are right in what you say. The only other argument against disc brake pads would be that one is marginally contributing to pollution as against particles from caliper brake pads which don't have metallic components ( perhaps some do?). On the other hand the disc brakes are safer in wet ( I'm in the U.K!!) which is a major issue ( when I used to cycle years ago I nearly had major accidents due to radical changes in stopping distance when brakes were wet).

In any case I drive a car! So the amount of dust from those pads will be thousands of times or more that of a bike. I'll probably go for the disc brakes!.

Thanks for discussion- very helpful.
Brake dust from a bike brake pad contributing to pollution?

You're kidding, right?

The dust from a bike brake pad is so immeasurably small that it will just become part of the dirt and will be fully degradable due to the sheer smallness of the particles. Organic dust is already basically just dirt. Metalic dust will decompose on a chemical level as rust nearly instantly upon exposure to any moisture. In both circumstances the dust turns into dirt.