Old 01-10-21, 04:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Overall tire design, materials, sidewalls, etc, often matters more than tread -- unless we're talking MTB knobbies.

I've used Vittoria Zaffiro entry level 700x23 road tires, basically slicks, that I really disliked. They were harsh, unpleasant with poor grip near full pressure, sluggish and squirmy at lower pressure.

And Continental SpeedRide tires for light gravel riding, basically great all around hybrid tires for pavement, multi-use trails including chat/crushed limestone trails, etc., that feel surprisingly fast and smooth for 700x42 tires with diamond/file tread similar to those Schwalbes, and vestigial side knobbies that don't really do much unless you're banking hard on grass. Sweetest hybrid tires I've ridden that cost only $20-$25.

I've had Conti Sport Contact II that have a similar diamond/file tread (Conti used to call it "slick" but it has shallow tread), but are harsh at high pressure, sluggish at lower pressure, with no sweet spot. Decent tires for all around use, grippy, long wearing, puncture resistant, but not pleasant. The sidewalls are too thick and rigid, which really seems to compromise ride quality.

I've had Schwalbe One V-Guards, circa 2014, slicks, very light and fast, great handling, grip on fast curves, a great training tire and even fast enough for local crits. A bit fragile -- nicked and cut easily -- but I still got 1,500 miles from the rear before it was cut up too badly by construction debris, glass, etc., along my favorite rural route. The front tire is still fine after more than 2,000 miles and mounted on an aero rim from my old time trial bike with cracked frame. Occasionally I still use it on my road bikes when I feel like tackling a PR or humiliating myself in a vain attempt at a KOM.

My current faves aren't slicks, per se, but have a bit of tread pattern that may be mostly cosmetic: Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls (700x25 only) and Soma Supple Vitesse SL (700x23) skinwalls. The Conti's are my current fave everyday road bike tire. The Somas are great for go-fast days. The Somas have a peculiar squarish tread pattern that might offer a bit more bite on some pavement in wet conditions, but I rarely push my luck anymore. They just roll nicely even over loose gravel scattered on chipseal, feel comfortable with latex tubes, and make themselves invisible by behaving well and not giving me any grief.

Best value in a slick tire if you're just curious to try a set -- Continental Ultra Sport II or III. I think they're available up to 700x32 They're really good cheap tires -- smooth rolling despite a fairly thick sidewall, grippy, long wearing, resistant to cuts and punctures, reasonably low rolling resistance. Only caveat is they are a b4st4rd to mount on most rims. You'll really want a bead jack. When I used Conti Ultra Sports as my everyday tires I always tucked a Kool Stop bead jack in my jersey pocket or strapped to the saddle bag. But Conti GP Classics are now my everyday tire (I can mount 'em with just my hands), and I use the Ultra Sports only for use on the indoor trainer -- they're really tough and don't wear out prematurely on my Cycelops magnetic trainer with metal roller. If Conti ever changes the Ultra Sport fit so I don't need a bead jack I'll go back to using them on my old steel road bike for everyday use.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-10-21 at 04:20 AM.