View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 04:07 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Well folks, we are halfway through June! I had the opportunity to undertake a rather exciting weekend trip that included back to back centuries -- a group was scheduled to camp out near Galena Illinois, and I was invited to "crash" with them.

The morning of the ride out, I handed off my tent and other gear; I was excited to be riding a mostly flat riverfront and an unloaded bicycle. The first landmark passed, which was the Interstate 74 bridge -- technically, bridges: the new white-arched bridge pair dwarfs the existing pair of green suspension spans, which are scheduled for removal in just a couple years.

The River Valley Trail offers a peaceful ride along the Mississippi, offering consistent views across the water (and across state lines). Although the trail is a bit rough in spots, and includes some odd twists and turns, the penalty to the pace is easily forgiven. I have ridden the trail (and other riverside roads) for years, so I often have to stop to remind myself just how impressive the Mississippi really is.

Further along, and the old rail-beds cut through what has today become a wetlands wildlife refuge. It is difficult to say just how 'natural' the refuge really is, considering the high water table is a result of the complex Lock and Dam system.

The wetlands mark the trail's arrival -- and terminus -- in Savanna Illinois. Most traffic continues north on the graded highway, Illinois 84 (also known as the Great River Road Route), but I preferred to find lesser traveled routes; my choice also implied a few big hills, climbing the valley walls of the Ol' Miss' tributaries. The worst hills were also gravel, but they did afford some expansive views.

I arrived just in time to pitch camp before dinner, and afterwards, was thankful for the shower house just a short walk away. I had intended to stay awake for the Friday night campfire, but with sunset approaching nine at night, I simply could not -- I fell asleep soon after climbing in my tent. The next morning was still and quiet, and just a little foggy. I packed up quickly and quietly, and left without a word. After yesterday's slow arrival, I intended to beat the hills back to the river trail before the sun rose too high. I passed through downtown Galena briefly considering a quick coffee, but no one stirred.

Somehow, the morning's hills were worse than those of the previous evening. Never underestimate the hills in parts of the midwest -- as the sign outside of Chestnut Mountain Resort warns, gradients can reach 15%.

After conquering the hills and rolling down into Savanna once again, I stopped for an oversized Saturday breakfast at the Sunshine Cafe. The outside might be intimidating to some, but the inside was as homely as ever -- the waitstaff appeared to know the names of most customers, of which there was no shortage. After eggs, toast, hashbrowns, and plenty of coffee, it was back on to the River Valley Trail. Now, I had intended to follow the trail straight home, but even despite my experience with the route I managed to get myself off track. As luck would have it, my mistake led me to intersect with the organized Tour of the Mississippi River Valley, or TOMRV for short. I happily followed the roadies on their way back towards Davenport.

Getting home would require crossing the Mississippi. The Arsenal Bridge is the most common route for cyclists in the Davenport and Quad Cities area, however, the bridge has to open for river barge traffic. Although waiting is usually a bit frustrating, the actual time is usually short; the forced break granted one of my favorite personal pictures of the Davenport skyline.

The way there -- to Galena -- was a planned century ride. The way back again was intended to be a century as well, but detouring with TOMRV added several miles. After reaching their ride's end, I added a few more miles of my own, logging 200k for the second day's ride. Overall, the routes included more climbing than I had anticipated, but the weekend was manageable with low gears and a bit of patience -- I would do something similar again, given the opportunity!

Likes For Bulette: